Sunday, February 17, 2019

Home?

On USY on Wheels there is no such thing as a home. For the most part each, night, we stayed at a new hotel or host home when a synagogue was hosting us. Our staff told us on our first bus ride that our "home" for the next 6 and half weeks would be our Coach USA Bus!

The bus was packed strategically to fit all of the supplies we needed for our journey. All of the overhead bins are filled with snacks, plates, napkins, silverware, condiments for sandwiches, etc. The cereal was stored in the bathroom. Every possible seat was taken. (Each staff member had a row to themselves, the water cooler had a row and the back row of seats was used for storage.) Each person's single suitcase and coolers were stored under the bus. The only space for our personal belongings was under our seat.

Our days were filled with hours on the bus. Our bus rides almost always started with Quiet Hours. (The only time we didn't have quiet hours was when we were sightseeing in a city for an entire day.) Quiet Hours allowed us time to take a nap and catch up on our sleep. I don't really take naps, so I spent my time writing in my journal, trying to catch up, using my phone and looking out the window. I always loved looking out for the signs that said we have entered a new state!

After Quiet Hours ended, we talked with one another. Occasionally we would watch a movie, play music or a game. Sometimes we even had dance parties on the bus which were very fun! My favorite parts about our bus rides was being able to move freely across the bus whenever we wanted, except when we were in traffic.

One of my favorite and funniest memories from our bus rides was when someone requested to play the song "The Wheels on the Bus." Vince, our bus driver, started to do the motions when the song was playing. It was very funny and a memorable moment.

A special tradition on USY on Wheels is decorating the bus whenever there was a birthday. Our bus had lots of birthdays! For each birthday, the ceiling of the bus was decorated with streamers and some signs covered parts of the windows. The bus always looked special and festive when we had a birthday. (Unfortunately my birthday is in September.)

I think our bus truly became a home to me. Unfortunately, I probably will never ride the same bus again. 😢

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo Gallery

Throughout my trip, I took photos at museums, National Parks, landmarks, etc. we visited along the way! I want to share with you some of my...