Sunday, February 24, 2019

Worst Around the Country

A few weeks ago I wrote about some of the best sights and highlights of my trip! Of course on a 6 and half week trip there are always going to be the low-lights and disappointments.

Warning: Not all of these places are big disappointments or boring! Some of them are disappointments because we spent too much time their, weather, etc.

Some of my friends and I at Corn Palace.
  1. The Golden Gate Bridge-The day we were in downtown San Francisco it was very cloudy and overcast. We had cool opportunity to pray at a spot overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge. The only problem was that we couldn't see a thing! (The cool part was that we were praying and standing inside a cloud.) It was very upsetting to not see the iconic bridge up close. We drove across it, but it wasn't' the same. 
  2. Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Museum-Didn't meet my expectations! When I learned that Albuquerque was the host of the largest Hot Air Balloon Festival, I thought we would see some of the cool and colorful balloons that flew in the festival, but no, the museum described the history of hot air balloons which was very boring. 
  3. The International Banana Museum in California-Part of Wheels is stopping at quirky attractions that you may not visit because they are in the middle of nowhere. The other two buses visited many quirky places and our bus hadn't stopped at that many. I was very excited to stop at the International Banana Museum. When our staff got back on the bus they told us that we wouldn't be getting off because the guy working there was very rude. (Plus our bus became inhabited by flies for a short time. But, we made a stop at Coachella to use the bathroom.) 
  4. Corn Palace in South Dakota-Another quirky stop that was way over-hyped by our staff. The Corn Palace is a place that displays art made of corn. New themes are created out of corn that cover the outside every year or so. I thought the Corn Palace was going to show all of the unique artwork, but there wasn't. The Corn Palace is also a local basketball arena. 
  5.  Los Angeles-LA marks the halfway point of Wheels. All of the buses meet in LA for 3-4 days. I found LA to be a bit overrated. I really enjoyed visiting the Hollywood Sign, Disney Land, Santa Monica Pier and the Walk of Fame, but LA wasn't like I expected it to be. (I totally recommend getting Kosher pizza. It was delicious!)
  6. Bear Country USA in South Dakota-Bear Country USA is a place where you drive your vehicle through and look at bears and other cute animals. The only problem was that it started to pour shortly after we began and it was hard to see the animals. 
  7. Crater Lake in Oregon-Crater Lake was formed by a big super volcano. We only spent a good hour or so actually looking at the lake and scenery. (We slept in a cabin on the property, but arrived at Crater Lake at around 10 pm.) It was slightly cloudy and the water wasn't as blue as it could be.
  8. Phoenix-I have been to Phoenix a handful of times to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins usually for family functions. I never really did anything touristy in Phoenix before and I thought we would be doing something fun! In reality we did a scavenger hunt at a local mall and went ice skating. (I do love scavenger hunts though.) I rather of sight-seeded then doing activities we can do back home.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo Gallery

Throughout my trip, I took photos at museums, National Parks, landmarks, etc. we visited along the way! I want to share with you some of my...